Tuesday, April 13

Making Meaning and Mixes

Last week, my classmates and I presented projects that featured our interpretation of how to "tell a story with images." The parameters were loose and we each employed various techniques to tell our stories. There were photo essays, slideshows, and even a film.

The process is a give and take: each person made a presentation, and we viewers made meanings from the images we saw.  Our personal and emotional ties influenced how we each perceived the images.

While I created a slideshow for my presentation, I've become very interested in experimenting with image remixing.  With Sumopaint, I upload photos I've taken and digitally manipulate the photo with the application software.   Each image remix enhances and/or alters the visual aesthetic.  I find the whole process both stimulating and satisfying.

As I remix, I think about how the image morphs from its original into something relative but different.  The feeling emoted from each original to its remix changes.

Here is a photo that I took in Amelia Island, Florida:

Coastal

Here is its digital remix:

Sun Peep

The original photo was taken on an overcast day, no sun in the sky.  The remix was altered to bring out the natural blue hues of the sky, and a "sun" was added to peep behind the clouds.

What do you make of each image?

No comments:

Post a Comment